Pages

13 February 2014

Join the Crowd

Crowdfunding.

A term I hadn't related to baby-making until just this week. I had participated by donating to others without being aware that it had a name or that it was a thing. I thought it was something a start-up might do to get investors to buy into their business. I even thought there was something illegal about it!

If this sounds like you, join the crowd.

In literal terms, crowdfunding or crowd sourcing is the collection of funds through small contributions made by many parties in order to reach a set financial goal for a particular venture. Wikipedia describes it as the collective effort of individuals who network and pool their money, usually via the internet, to support initiatives by other people.

It's fundraising. It's asking for donations. UGH.

Fundraising isn't always easy. It's personal. It's having a story or a reason, and telling it. It's putting yourself out there and asking somebody to empathize enough to hand over cash. It's bold.

Some of the hardest, and most rewarding work I've had the honor to experience is raising money for two Susan G. Komen 3-Day walks and be part of the highest fundraising team in Kansas City. But that was for cancer research! A noble and tax deductible cause. What I'm talking about now seems so selfish.

"If you can't afford to make a baby, you can't afford to have a baby. Besides, it's personal. And it's selfish to ask others to fund something that should come naturally. That's like buying tap water in a bottle!" That's what I heard in the back of my head as we forked over money for testing and medication in my earlier 30s and again when I turned 40 as we began paperwork and home studies for adoption. I was happy to donate time and money to others who were trying to conceive, but that just wasn't for me.

And now, when I no longer have insurance that covers infertility treatment?

And now, when I no longer have access to an adoption reimbursement program?

And now, when we have this last-chance opportunity in a bad economy?

Remember when I said I thought crowd funding was something I thought business do? Well, I'm finding out it is a business. There are sites that provide a format and online portal for fundraising that take a percentage of not only what is collected, but also charge credit card fees to donators!

So I started doing some research, but still had reservations and asked others close to me for their opinions. Do I need to tell people about my personal setbacks and assure them that I am making my own cutbacks and working on growing my financial worth elsewhere? Do I need to tell them about all the extra hours my husband is working to help us catch up?

The responses were overwhelming...and positive. I got the biggest sign from my cousin, Tayarra, who thoughtfully shared a message she had received though a radio bible study. "Live like you have nothing to prove, nothing to hide and nothing to lose!" She also introduced me to a free crowd sourcing portal by connecting me to the publisher of this story

"Go for  it, Gina!" That was the feedback I heard from many.

Yes, it is a business for some - but I feel led to a network of integrity. And I guess in some ways, what I decide to do with it is nobody's business but mine. Mine and those who support me, my situation or a bigger cause. And so I hope you will consider joining the crowd.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails